The benefits of using a standing electric wheelchair are enormous -medical publications have documented the benefits of using a standing wheelchair for many years and all medical professionals view these chairs as hugely beneficial to the recipient. There are two types to choose from –
- Fully Motorised – Stand & Drive, also known as a Electric Stand Up.
- Semi Motorised – Manual Push, Electric Stand, also known as a Manual Stand.
Paraplegics and those with good upper body strength generally look at purchasing a manual stand and quadriplegics or those with limited upper body strength should look at purchasing the motorised version as this operates solely by remote control via the joystick.
Another important factor to take into account is how you are going to be using the chair on a daily basis, possibly you may use it in the workplace – in this case a fully motorised chair may be your best option as you can then drive this chair in it’s stand up position whereas the manual chair does not have this function.
- Simple tasks such as opening a high cupboard, writing on a white board, fishing, golfing, braaing ……. The list is endless
- Ability to interact normally with peers and family. Anyone using a standing wheelchair will be able to do jobs in the home and workplace that previously they were unable to undertaken due to the restrictions of the chair.
- The increased circulation derived from standing increases a person’s cognitive ability to think and their memory and focus becomes sharper.
- Using a standing wheelchair increases your wellbeing tenfold. No more looking up at people or people looking down on you – finally the playing fields are level and eye to eye contact, stand up hugs, looking in a mirror etc are all fully accessible.
- One of the major benefits is the weight distribution which improves the healing of existing pressure sores and unquestionably is a preventative measure against any sores occurring .
- Standing helps relax the muscles and reduces spasticity. It also stretches and exercises muscles.
- Increased circulation as the body changes posture. Blood flow is returned to normal.
- Studies have proved that using a standing chair reduces the incidence of urinary tract infections and increases bowel function.
All the above are just some of the benefits derived from using a standing wheelchair on a regular basis.
It is always a matter of personal choice and of course finances available as manual drive chairs are usually half the price of an electric drive/stand chair.
Mobility Solutions Standing Wheelchairs come with a 1 year warranty on parts with full spares availability. Both electric and manual chairs are extremely comfortable to sit in, have a host of adjustments and with proper use will last many years and provide the user with all the physical and psychological benefits listed above.
Please click on the link below to read more about our standing electric wheelchairs